Well, we've covered the first 5 tips and here are the rest:
- Keep a log of everyone who has looked at your house. Get their name, telephone number, address, car description, tag number and any additional information the could be helpful in the event of a future burglary. All of these people could be potential suspects. This is especially important on The Jersey Shore since we have such a high rate of vacationers that here for a short period of time
- If you make a flyer to advertise your home, don't include any information that might compromise your security.
- Remove from sight all valuables, including guns, jewelry, silverware and collections. There are cases where couples are going around and stealing valuables form houses they visited. If possible screen all potential buyers via a thorough pre-qualification process before you let them in your home.
- Never leave strangers alone and watch their every move while they're in your home. There was a incident where a nice, clean-cut looking couple will make an appointment to see your home, and once they're inside one of them will ask to use the bathroom and will search for prescription drugs. There is a huge market for such drugs so make certain your prescription drugs are well hidden before anyone looks at your home.
- While your house is on the market as a FSBO, keep an eye on details. Even if the slightest thing looks out of place, don't hesitate to call the police. Really, the police on the Jersey Shore would rather practice preventative law enforcement than investigate a crime after the fact.
Remember, always remain cautious. The people you let into your house are, more than likely, strangers, so treat them like strangers; Polite but vigilant!
Karl Hess, Barnegat
Find Your Dream Home on The Jersey Shore in Ocean County!
Licensed in New Jersey. Keller Williams Shore Properties
770 Lighthouse Dr. Barnegat, NJ Phone: 732-797-9001